Dogs in Vancouver fall ill after poison found in park

It began with a post in the Strathcona Residents Association blog warning dog owners to be careful after a number of them fell ill.

The posters were up in parks warning dog owners to be aware that someone was leaving rat poison.

Several dogs have become ill and rat carcasses were found

Strathconans and off leash park visitors are advised to be extra vigilant and keep an eye on their dogs. It takes very little poison to cause serious toxicosis, especially in smaller dogs.

Gardeners reported seeing a white male between 45 to 55 years old, between 5’8 and 5’10 with dark hair and a moustache. He’s been spotted carrying a dark bag and scattering what is believed to be poison. He is reportedly not a gardener and leaves the garden or goes into the bushes when people approach. It is not clear if he is embedding the poison in food or just scattering it.

Dog owner Pete Fry, the head of the Strathcona Residents Association, told the CBC that whoever is spreading the poison doesn’t realize the harm that can be done.

Hopefully whoever’s been spreading the poison will realize this is a really dumb idea.”

One resident, Mira Orack, said her dog Jericho consumed the poison and threw up four times.


My dog got super sick and I had no idea why”

The SPCA’s manager of investigation Marcie Moriarty says her organization hasn’t heard of any complaints so far but is asking residents to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. 

h/t: Strathcona Residents Association , CBC

Photo credit: CBC

About the author

Peg Fong is also in recovery from newspapers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.