Rare Komodo dragon killed in zoo fire

A fire broke out at a San Antonio Zoo in Texas killing five snakes and a 15-year-old Komodo dragon name Scatha.

It’s believed a heating device which was meant to keep the reptiles warm caught on fire because of a faulty electrical issue.

“Its depressing,” said Steve McCusker, San Antonio Zoo Director in a news report.  “Everybody’s got a lump in their stomach about it.”

The good news is however that 90 snakes and other reptiles were saved including a second Komodo dragon at the zoo.

The fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage. No non-critters were hurt but it will take the enclosure about seven to eight months to rebuild. 

Photo credit: San Antonio Zoo

About the author

Peg Fong is also in recovery from newspapers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.