RIP Jago: RCMP police dog killed in the line of duty

UPDATE: June 21

Alberta’s police oversight body said Jago was hit by a bullet and killed after the suspect and police exchanged gunfire. The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team also said the suspect was shot by police. He died later.


Alberta RCMP — and canine handlers everywhere — continue to mourn the death of police dog Jago.

Jago was on the job with his handler, Cpl. Scott MacLeod, in High Prairie, AB Thursday tracking a suspect who was on the run from police.

Lionel Ernest Grey was pulled over at a traffic stop on outstanding warrants when police say he took off in a truck, which then got stuck, and then he ran into a wooded area.

Jago was somehow fatally injured during the June 17 chase.

“We are saddened to report that during this incident the Police Service Dog was killed,” Mounties announced the next day. “No additional officers have been physically hurt at this time.”

Jago would have turned 5-years-old in July. Photo: RCMP

RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki expressed her sadness at the loss and said police service dogs provide “essential assistance to our members.”

“While protecting his community, PSD Jago lost his life in the line of duty. This difficult loss is felt by many–to his handler Cpl. Scott MacLeod, my condolences,” she wrote.

Jago was an experienced canine officer. Photo: RCMP

Jago was born in July, 2016, and served four years with the RCMP.

He was stationed in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia before being moved to northern Alberta, where for the past 11 months he served with the High Prairie and High Level RCMP detachments.

Jago’s partner has been with the High Prairie detachment since last year and has 10 years of experience as an RCMP Police Dog Service handler.

Jago had served as a police dog in northern Alberta for almost a year. Photo: RCMP

Jago would have turned five next month.

Police contained the area where they believed their 29-year-old suspect was hiding by Friday afternoon. Officers from British Columbia and Saskatchewan were deployed to help with the search and arrest.

Grey was taken into custody, but was suffering serious, undisclosed injuries when he was arrested.

Medical treatment began immediately, but Grey died not long after.

Alberta’s police watchdog — the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team — is now reviewing the incident.

“Independent of ASIRT’s investigation, the RCMP’s internal review process has been implemented to gather a full account of what took place during this incident,” Mounties explained. “RCMP training, policy, police response, and the duty status of the members involved will be subject to review. The RCMP is, of course, fully cooperating with ASIRT and will not be commenting further on this incident.”

Jago had been in northern Alberta since 2020. Photo: RCMP

Police forces all over extended their condolences to the loss of a canine member.

About the author

Recovering newspaper reporter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.