A heat wave sweeping across the much of eastern North America putting people and pets in danger.
Already, human deaths are being reported in Canada and the United States as temperatures soar. And, it was a near miss for one pooch in Nova Scotia.
Erin Rowe gave a shout out to Global Pet Foods in Halifax for giving air-conditioned shelter and water to a pooch that was left in a hot vehicle as the humidex rose to 40C.
“His cries were heard and reported by a good Samaritan and his plastic travel crate, with very little ventilation, was pulled from the SUV,” she posted on Facebook. “The owner showed up 30 minutes later but thanks to the quick response of the Halifax Regional Police, she was issued a $700 fine.”
This is one lucky dog.
Now, Global Pet Foods is raising awareness.
“It is apparent to us that some folks in HRM are still not aware of the dangers of leaving pets in cars,” the company said. “Thankfully the little guy was ok, but things could have ended very differently.”
“Separation anxiety is no excuse. It is much better to leave them at home in a controlled temperature than in a hot car…If you have trouble leaving your pet at home, please ask for help! It could save your window, your wallet and MOST importantly, your precious pet.”
And this incident happened even after a police warning.
“Especially with the forecasted temperatures and humidity, Halifax Regional Police reminds citizens to not leave pets unattended in parked vehicles,” the department said. “On a warm day, even with the windows open, a parked vehicle quickly becomes like a furnace and presents potentially fatal conditions for pets left inside.”
Home is best for pets especially when temps are high, as expected this weekend. https://t.co/wfX7z1W33S pic.twitter.com/NyugnvgZKH
— Halifax_Police (@HfxRegPolice) June 29, 2018
In case you need more convincing, watch this.
It’s hot today 🌡 and already those animals 🐶 locked in vehicle calls are coming in. Please don’t leave children or animals in hot vehicles❗ #yyc #calgary #education #think pic.twitter.com/RgWhRlunlz
— Cst. Mark Smith (@CstSmith) June 20, 2018
An IKEA in Cologne, Germany came up with an even more brilliant solution.
For years the Swedish furniture company has offered cool parking for pooches.
A barking lot, if you will.
IKEA in Germany has a parking lot for dogs to encourage ppl not to leave them in hot cars #brilliantidea 👏 👍 pic.twitter.com/ulBncEvMIu
— Debbie (@debbiedoo22) July 18, 2015
Many shops will also let pets inside, even if they aren’t service animals.
If in doubt, ask.
Better yet, leave your best friend in the comfort of home when it’s a scorcher outside.
The Winnipeg Humane Society has just launched a unique awareness campaign.
The shelter wants every driver in the province to place a “A Hot Car Can Kill” decal in their car windows.
Despite its annual reminder about the deadly consequences, the society still receives hundreds of calls about pets left unattended in vehicles. There were 324 last year, 185 in 2016 and 226 in 2015.
“We need to do more for our pets when it comes to this issue,” Kyle Jahns, a humane society spokesman, said in a statement. “To make a difference, people must be more aware of the intolerable conditions inside a hot vehicle and share this message with all Manitobans. Pets should not suffer over such an easily prevented issue.”
Main photo Erin Rowe/Facebook